Deputy Nursing Manager
Pay Rate: £17.94
Hours: Full Time (40hrs) + on call rota
Location: St Aidens Cottage - Durham
Job Ref: stadep
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- To support the head of home in all aspects of the home's management, including taking temporary complete charge during his/her absence.
- To provide high quality nursing care and to assist in identifying and addressing the health and social care of service users.
- Ensure that all staff members contribute to the best of their ability to the efficient running of the home and the creation of the right atmosphere.
- Ensure sufficient staff cover for the home. This may include you being required to cover extra shifts if no other alternative can be found.
- As directed by your manager, be on-call to deal with out of hours advice/emergencies for your home as well as other services in the group.
- Supervise and instruct junior and new staff members in all aspects of their work in the home
- Assist service users with their personal care needs and help to provide health supervision and attention through direct nursing care when needed.
- Report any ill-health amongst clients and make requests for GP/professional visits where necessary.
- Help with the formulation of social and health care plans for new service users and with service user reviews.
- Help to control the issue of drugs for which the home has taken responsibility and to maintain the necessary records.
- Participate in the development of activities for service users in which they can join and which will enhance their quality of life.
- As requested, or in the absence of the Home Manager, maintain effective communications with clients, relatives, staff members, Head Office, Directors and any other concerned bodies.
- Maintain effective communications with the Home Manager.
- Ensure a clear and concise handover report is given to all staff members.
- Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with client’s personal and financial affairs.
- Help to ensure that the preparation, cooking and serving of food meet the required standards, and that the client’s dietary needs are met.
- Help to ensure that rooms and common spaces are properly cleaned and maintained and adequately heated.
- Participate in staff meetings and in staff training and development activities.
- Help the head of home maintain such log books and records as may be required by the registering authority or Directors/Head Office of the Company.
- Ensure that all commodities used in and around the home are sensibly conserved by all staff members.
- Carry out risk assessments appertaining to individuals and activities, and ensure all risk assessment proposals are carried out.
- Be responsible for infection control in the absence of the Home Manager.
- Attend mandatory training courses, on or off site, as and when required.
- Maintain professional knowledge and competence.
- In conjunction with the Home Manager, Endeavour to fill any job vacancy and interview for new staff members in line the Company’s Recruitment policy.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, implement and manage the Company’s Disciplinary policies and procedures (in conjunction with Head Office).
- Assist the Home Manager with formal supervision / appraisal of staff members to ensure consistently high standards.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, organize workload by forward planning off duty to ensure that there is sufficient staff cover, and deal with problems where necessary.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, and in conjunction with the Referral Team, endeavour to fill any client vacancy by liaising with Social Services and health authorities and assessing suitable clients.ome
- Report immediately to the Home Manager, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a client, colleague, self of another.
- Understand and ensure the implementation of the homes Health and Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
- Ensure the security of the home is maintained at all times.
- Ensure the home is attractively presented and odour free at all times.
- Report to the Home Manager, or the Handyperson, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
- Promote safe working practices in the homes.
- Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained.
- Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties.
- Be ‘on-call’ for emergencies, which may arise within the home, and cover shifts if all other avenues have been exhausted.
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales.
- Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.
The job description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list. The post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of their role.Apply